How to Clean and Cure Your Metate
- Use a stiff-bristled brush to remove any debris or loose particles from the surface of the metate. Rinse it with water and let it dry completely.
- Choose a sacrificial material: You can use rice, beans, or corn to grind on the metate to create a smooth surface. Some people also use sandpaper to smooth the surface of the metate.
- Grind the sacrificial material: Start by grinding a small amount of the sacrificial material on the metate using the mano (the stone tool used for grinding). As you grind, the sacrificial material will start to turn into a paste that will fill in any gaps or imperfections on the surface of the metate.
- Continue grinding: Add more sacrificial material as needed and continue grinding until the surface of the metate is smooth and shiny. You may need to grind for several hours to achieve the desired smoothness.
- Rinse and dry the metate: Once you are finished grinding, rinse the metate with water and let it dry completely before using it to grind other materials.
Note: By following these steps, you can cure your metate and prepare it for use. You may need to repeat this process periodically to maintain the smoothness of the metate’s surface.
If you have any further questions or comments, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org!